Mission & Vision
As your partner and advocate in music therapy, our mission is to promote excellence by awarding board certification based on proven, up-to-date knowledge and competence in clinical practice, to create and maintain the music therapy credentialing process, to advocate for the recognition of the MT-BC credential, and for access to safe and competent practice, and to provide leadership in music therapy credentialing.
With an unwavering respect for our responsibilities as the only certifying board for music therapy – and for the responsibilities of music therapists everywhere – our vision is to ensure access to safe, effective music therapy services for all.
CBMT is a member of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence. Our Music Therapist-Board Certification (MT-BC) program has been fully accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies since 1986. As the only certifying board for music therapy, we are committed to rigorous competency testing. Our accreditation ensures our unconditional compliance with stringent testing and measurement standards.
Established in 1983 to bolster the profession’s sense of accountability to those it served, CBMT is proud of our longstanding heritage as a recognized leader in the credentialing field. We are equally proud to see how our mission has moved forward at the ground level over the years, with the number of new Certificants and Recertifiers steadily increasing each year. Today, over 9,000 music therapists in the United States and abroad hold the MT-BC credential from CBMT, a sign of growing professional commitment to excellence in music therapy among therapists, employers, payers, educators and many others.
To achieve our vision of ensuring everyone has access to safe, effective music therapy services, we will continue to expand our reach and advocacy, both at home and internationally. As we do so – and as the music therapy profession continues to evolve – CBMT will remain steadfast in our commitment to:
- Maintaining the highest possible standards for our national certification and recertification programs
- Maintaining the current standard for eligibility to sit for the national MT-BC examination
- Maintaining certification and recertification requirements that reflect current practice in the profession of music therapy
- Regularly assessing the current state of music therapy to establish an objective global standard of excellence
- Encouraging active involvement of board-certified music therapists in all phases of development for the CBMT examination and continuing education programs
Proudly Serving All Music Therapists
As the only certifying board for music therapists in the U.S. and several countries internationally, we support and protect the rights of board-certified music therapists to serve in a wide variety of settings, including:
- Community Mental Health Centers
- Correctional Facilities
- Day Treatment Centers
- Drug and Alcohol Programs
- General and State Hospitals
- Geriatric Care Programs
- Home Health Programs
- Hospice Programs
- Medical Clinics
- Physical Rehabilitation Centers
- Private Practices and Agencies
- Prevention and Wellness Programs
- Public and Private Schools
- Research Programs
- Residential Facilities
- Special Education Programs
Ready to learn more about your partners and advocates at CBMT? Choose a topic below for more information.
Who We Are
CBMT Leadership & Staff
Supporting you in your quest for excellence.
Our team of experts is your team of supporters, working together to advance the profession of music therapy.
Collaborating for shared goals
Ensuring high standards of excellence everywhere.
We partner with several organizations to strengthen our combined commitment to you and those you serve.
Advocacy in Music Therapy
State advocacy efforts & regulatory affairs
Achieving state recognition for the music therapy profession.
We are proactively addressing the changing climate of the profession and role of state regulation on the field.